Thursday, April 17, 2014

Magic Stamps

You ever get that memory from back when you were a kid and you have no idea where it came from and then boom you are transported to that time. So I was watching a show on TV and they were talking about ultraviolet blah, blah, blah. I dozed off and then ended up dreaming about the Magic Kingdom. When I awoke all I could think and talk about was Main Street’s House of Magic.


  
The House of Magic was that non-attraction that I had to visit every trip or else it felt like the trip was a wash. I have always been a fan of the macabre and spooky so just that funeral parloresque look of the outside would bring me in.  Inside was very dark and ominous compared to the rest of the Penny Arcade. There were all sorts of gags and tricks on the walls the counter was were the clerk would show of magic tricks you could buy at the shop.       Everything from fake dog poo and vomit to t-shirts like the one below.


  
Up above the shop on the upper shelves were horror masks. They scared the heck out of me. Yes I said earlier that I loved all things scary, I did not say I was ok with them. As a matter of fact I was scared of almost everything till about 13, but that’s another story. The masks scary as they were always intrigued me because they were sort of out of reach, not only height wise but price wise as well. Now the reason we are all here, on the wall where the windows were was all this stuff that had black light to make it glow. Posters, shirts, knick knacks, and cool stuff that now you can find at a Spencer gifts.


They were all neat things but the neatest was the one day when my brothers and I had been at Epcot then we went to the Magic Kingdom . This was the day we went to the the House of Magic and were just looking around and reached for something on the black lit wall. As my brother reached for a t-shirt I noticed a glimmering something on the back of his hand. Closer inspection made it clear what it was, it was the returning to park stamp for re-entry sort of like the one below.



  The importance of this is that this was the first time we ever noticed this. So many times in and out of the parks, getting stamped and putting our hands inTo the little lamp at the park. It was a black light stamp, you can't see it until under that special ultraviolet light. Which brings the story full circle, see the ultraviolet show made me think of this moment in 199something. That triggered the memory of the house of magic which had the black light and Ta Da!... full circle! Again the Magic inside the park what a beauty. Well time to get back to the Utilidors, thanks till next time. 

1 comment:

  1. I always remember being scared the return stamp on my hand would rub off before I got back to the park/to the next park.

    ReplyDelete