Monday, August 3, 2015

A Studio Too Far Far Away....

I swear I am trying to commit to this blogging thing but it is so much easier to sit on my butt watching television. Now that I have gotten that out let’s get to business.


Today I am going to talk about Americas favorite third of a day park, that’s right Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Now hop into my pal Marty’s DeLorean and lets go back to the year 1989. I was sitting in class when all of a sudden over the PA I am called to the front office. I walk slowly to the front office wondering which one of my many daily infractions I had been caught doing, I see my Dad in the office and totally seized up. This never happens so I ask Dad what’s up and he tells me my Mom has fallen and broken her leg and he was picking me and my brothers up early from school. Now this means nothing on its own, but my mother had to be in the hospital a few days.  So on Monday May first of 1989 we went to visit her and on the TV they were showing the opening ceremonies of Disney’s MGM Studios. At that point my day became less about my poor moms leg and more about the gallantry and splendor of the opening of uncle Walt’s newest park.



As a budding nerd I was always about movies. I loved watching them, seeing the trailers and eating the popcorn. With that in mind riding movie related rides made my 15 year old mind explode! That following summer after my mother’s leg got better we jumped into the old family trickster and drove to Disney’s MGM Studios. We got there and wow there were only a handful of rides but wow it was awesome! An almost 2 hour immersive behind the scenes and backlot tour , Star Tours, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Monster Sound Show, Superstar Television and The Magic of Disney Animation Tour. Boom that’s it, that was all that was there and we loved it! We were so glad to be there enjoying the studios and seeing all the new stuff, and that is the memory that made me saddest the last trip I went down.



The last trip to the now Disney’s Hollywood Studios was with my brother his wife and the nieces. Of course it was hot as all blazes and Olaf has taken over with his Summer Frozen Fun, which with a three year old girl we had to partake. 



We did the Frozen sing along and a couple of other things and before leaving we did Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I had never seen that show and now I have my wife and nieces liked it… so. Now when we exited the show my brother needed  a restroom break with the older niece, so my wife and I waited by the stroller parking which is in front of The Magic of Disney Animation Tour. This is where this blog all started, as we were standing there I hear the cast member  at the Animation door yell out to passers by “Hey don’t go down to Toy Story Midway Mania, we don’t have a wait and they will be there Monday!”,  yup we were there August 11th, and that attraction closed forever at the end of the day Sunday August 12th. If you are a Disney fan you know that the Studios have been closing rides left and right, supposedly for the D23 Announcement of a name change and Lucas Land and Pixar Land, which I am sure will be great but man that was a spear through my heart. That’s right this whole blog for that one line from a cast member.





I know the future is going to be great and that everything will be Disneyrific, but I can only think of what we have lost as of late. Well enough of this, I gotta get back to the tunnels. Until next time have a magical day.

No comments:

Post a Comment